Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fitting In



Before I began this blog, I had been reading others for several years.  One thing I noticed from the beginning was that most of the blog authors were younger than me, some much younger. And although I enjoy reading about the issues young families are facing today, about Catholic mothers and how they are raising their children different than I did,  fabulous women who can decorate with small budgets, and other women whose spirituality reaches epic levels and can put it into words, I really have not found my voice here.

When I began here I wanted to write about my Catholic faith, my family and my passion for knitting and although the knitting and family take up most of this space, I just can't seem to speak to my faith. I continue to compare myself to those I read that are more serious writers than I am.

This stunt in thought has kept me from using this space daily.  Maybe I don't want the controversy, maybe I don't feel I know enough, or it could just be I don't know how to begin.

I recently read on several blogs about conferences that are out there for blog writers.  It seems this is an avenue I might want to explore.  I do provide comments on many blogs, so my name is out there, but I'm not sure those writers read here.

I guess most of this is confusion.  Some of it trying to find identity. And really just wanting to find my place.  I'm older than most.  Maybe it is just time for me to listen?  I don't think so.  I have to much to offer.

5 comments:

  1. I am older than you are and I have been blogging since 2008. I just be myself and don't compare myself with other bloggers - except when I see things on other blogs that I don't want to do. I think you should just write about what inspires you and don't worry about what everybody else is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think older bloggers have a lot to offer! After all, they possess more wisdom and experience than the younger bloggers. At 44, I consider myself a middle aged blogger and I too find it hard to find a place to fit in but I feel like I have something to say and if nothing else, I enjoy having a place to store my memories.

    It's hard not to compare ourselves to other bloggers. But just remember what Theodore Roosevelt said - "Comparison is the thief of joy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no no no!!! You MUST continue!!! Grandmas UNITE!!! (I know what you are saying, though---I feel the same way!! I get so much inspiration from the young mommas....sometimes, though, I need a nap after just reading about their day!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please continue to write. Your blog inspires and encourages me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments ladies! I'm not going to stop. I guess encouragement is needed? You are all blessings to me and I look at each of your blogs for inspiration. Stay with me!

    ReplyDelete