Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Yarn Along New Year, New Yarn, New Books and the Solemnity of Mary, the Holy Mother of God.

I don't know if there will be a link up for Yarn Along since it is a holiday, but I am going to post mine anyway.  I have stayed pretty quiet during this Christmas season and want to put this new knitting out there.

We tend to focus all our thoughts and energy on New Years, but January 1st is a Holy Day of Obligation for Catholics. We celebrate Mary the Mother of God.  Also being the Octave of Christmas, it was the day Jesus was given his name. In the birth and naming of this child we see the wondrous design and plan of God in giving us a savior who would bring us grace, mercy and freedom from the power of sin and death.

My knitting takes on a focus of birth as well.  Baby blankets.  There are two new babies coming in the next few months.  I enjoy knitting blankets for new mothers and their babes.  Seeing my own grandchildren wrapped in these hand knits brings me great joy!

 
 
 

This is my second time to knit this beauty. Lullaby Blanket has the words Sleep Baby, Hush Baby, knit into the second section.  You might be able to make a little of that out in the last picture. It is beautiful when complete! The yarn is Knit Picks Comfy Sport.  It is my go to yarn for all baby blankets.  It washes and dries wonderfully.  

I added two new books to my reading.

 

The House Girl and The Signature of All Things are both historical fiction.  One dealing with botanicals and the other with slavery.  I really enjoy the time periods of both of these so reviews will be coming soon.

I wanted to share a special gift I received for Christmas.  We never really know what our children are thinking, but my daughters surprised me with a precious gift.  When each one of our 4 daughters graduated from college we gifted them with a Tiffany necklace.  They have cherished them and  Mr. Golfer and I love to see them worn.

The girls this year surprised me!

 
 
They made me a member of the club!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful blanket! I do love to see what your knitting, it is always so lovely. The necklace is such a wonderful gift! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful baby blanket! Your daughters gave you a great gift. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! The holy day today! I forgot to mention it in my own post, we were to busy getting ready for Mass at the time. Your knits are beautiful. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! We have the day after Christmas as a the synaxis of the Theotokos (http://oca.org/saints/lives/1999/12/26/103648-synaxis-of-the-most-holy-mother-of-god) so it seems that both of us celebrate the Mother of God on this day!
    Would love to see a picture of this baby blanket when it is done! :)

    ReplyDelete